1.29.2009

Scab hair

Ok, so if you pay attention to the newest hair growth in the front of my hair (see picture in previous post), you know, the "dreaded" stubborn hair that won't do what I tell it, well anyway, I think the new growth is more curly and similar in texture to the rest of my hair. I guess it was scab hair. In case you don't know what that is here's a definition I've borrowed from Motowngirl.com
"scab hair- The hair directly underneath the scalp that has been affected by the harsh chemicals. Even though the hair is newgrowth it isn't "trained" to behave in it's natural state. The hair is still sort of straight, very dry and brittle. It usually takes somewhere around 6 months to completely grow out. Not eveyone experiences scab hair. The longer a person was relaxed the more likely they are to be affected."
I sometimes wish I had transitioned for about 5-6 months and then cut my hair down to about 1" and bypassed the scab hair. I say that because that scab hair was no joke to deal with during my teeny weeny afro stage. With that said, I still have enjoyed each stage of growth and I can't wait to take these kinky twists out and play with my hair again.

3 comments:

BK said...

Kudos to you ! You're doing way better than I ever could. I permed mine and am now considering cutting it off again. I think it's this pregnancy face that's discouraging me though. *Sigh* Only 3-4 more months and maybe I'll feel better.
Anyway, keep up the good work. Your hair is loving you for it. :)

Unknown said...

Just wondering...how long did it take for your scab hair to go away? i think i might have some all around the edges of my hair just because every other day new curls can be found in those areas after i've even wet my hair. is this close to what you experienced?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.